The Mystery of the Tunnels Solved

Marion Light

 

The mystery of the tunnels solved! As work proceeds on the restoration of downtown buildings reports of bricked-up basement tunnels come to light. What were they used for?

The answer is steam heat. From 1907 to 1959 the steam by-product of local electric utilities was used to heat building in downtown Marion.

1890 -1904  Marion begins to electrify. Small-scale production- Fifth and Nebraska, current from traction lines, home generators. The Glass Block at Third and Boots  – gas fired boiler drove a120 KW generator enabled   for steam to heat several buildings along the square

In 1907, a larger plant was needed to meet increased demand. A new facility was built on N.Branson  Marion Light and Heating served over 1000 customers. Rate 12.5 cents/kilowatt hour. One of the first turbine generator. The fuel was changed to coal due to the gas production decline. The boiler was initially hand fed in early days until stokers were brought in.

1907  MLH became American Gas and Electric.

1918 Muncie and Marion’s firms became General Service.

1923 – The rate lowered to 7.5 per kilowatt hour.

1948  GS merged with Ft.Wayne Indiana Service became  I and M.

1953- Branson St. plant generated its last electricity.

1959 – Last steam was generated.

1960- The building was demolished.

 

Sources:

Sandborn Insurance Map 1906

Centennial History of Grant County

Marion Chronicle-Tribune 04.25. 1962

 

by William F. Munn 

“Celebrate the Past” broadcast on WBAT AM  09.17.2018

 

The Most Modern Hooks Drugstore in Marion: Every Building Tells a Story

July 4th, 1940 the most modern Hooks drugstore in Indiana opened at 4th and Washington Street in Marion, Indiana. The exterior of the store was constructed of structural glass and stainless steel. The soda fountain was 36 feet long and was equipped with modern refrigeration and sewage disposal. The right side of the store was for cosmetics and general merchandise displayed in mahogany and white cabinets. Store manager B.F. Pulley announced the completion of the store by Bowman Construction at the cost of $35,000. The store was air conditioned to “a comfortable 70 degrees in hot weather. William Feightner did the electrical work. Lininger and Company was the plumbing contractor.
from Marion Chronicle July 5, 1940
William Munn “Moments in Grant County History” WBAT 1400 AM