July 4th, 1940 the most modern Hooks drugstore in Indiana opened at 4th and Washington Street in Marion, Indiana. The exterior of the store was constructed of structural glass and stainless steel. The soda fountain was 36 feet long and was equipped with modern refrigeration and sewage disposal. The right side of the store was for cosmetics and general merchandise displayed in mahogany and white cabinets. Store manager B.F. Pulley announced the completion of the store by Bowman Construction at the cost of $35,000. The store was air conditioned to “a comfortable 70 degrees in hot weather. William Feightner did the electrical work. Lininger and Company was the plumbing contractor.
from Marion Chronicle July 5, 1940
William Munn “Moments in Grant County History” WBAT 1400 AM